Monday, December 19, 2005

A sort of homecoming



There was a time I was really into airsoft. Airsoft is a hobby involving replica firearms which shoot 6mm plastic pellets. Airsoft guns (also called AEGs - automatic electric guns) originated from Japan. I understand that gun ownership is really restricted in Japan so a market emerged to cater to firearms enthusiasts. Hence, so many, many airsoft guns have since been produced, from the ubiquitous M16 to the more exotic FN P90.

I was really into the hobby since I got back to it in February 2000. That meant, all my Sundays were spent donning all my precious hoarded military gear, driving off to different playing sites both in and out of the city I live in, and of course running around shooting down hordes of honest and not-very-honest fellow players. It was great fun and it kept me in shape.

Of course, my life changed in late 2001. I met the woman I would later marry, we tied the knot, we moved out, settled down and this year, just about a month ago, we had our baby boy. Airsoft went the way of my other pursuits such as warhammer 40k and role playing games - straight out the backburner.

With both Ana, my wife, and Joshua, my kid, safe and sound at home, I felt that now would be a good time to get back into airsoft. Actually, I'd just be visiting my old team mates as I still won't be playing till I get all my scattered gear back and get those flu shots.

Nonetheless, I was in high spirits when I went to see my old team last Sunday. Our team is called FENRIS, and I'm proud to say that I'm still counted to be a part of them, even if I'd been less than visible during this last year or so. Fenris was going through their manuevers in an empty lot near Pioneer street in Pasig City that day. Coming back was a great thing that day as the guys made me feel welcome such that I felt like I never left at all. Still, much of it was a shock:

New faces. I'd been out for such a long time there were new faces all around. Although I just started to get to know the new guys all around, I instantly felt they were good guys: chaps with their hearts in the right place and the right amount of fire in their bellies.

New gear. Man, the guys maxed out on wargear (to borrow the term from 40k) during my absence. I felt positively ancient standing next to the troopers kitted out in their rig.

New guns. Ah, airsoft can't be airsoft without the AEGs. Back in 2000, Dutch (a buddy of mine in the team) and I were wishing for a good M249 SAW and an M14 in AEG form. Fast forward to December 2005 and viola: Dutch starts showing me both his M249 (para version) and M14. He was even nice enough to let me test shoot them.

All in all, it was a great way to spend the afternoon after such a long and stressful two months. I hope, sometime soon, I get to join the boyz in their maneuvers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home