Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

It is finally Christmas Eve. All around us, the City is finally coming to a much awaited slowdown. I could hardly believe it when I drove out today and encountered almost nothing on the streets. At a time like this, a few scant hours away from Christmas day, I can't help but reflect on the year thus far. 2005 has been a year of challenges. I'd be lying through my teeth if I said it was a bed of roses.

We entered 2005 with trepidation on growing old childless and we're leaving it with our baby. That's a definite plus.

I entered 2005 with a trace of starry-eyed idealism concerning the honorable nature of our clients' ability (and willingness) to pay our bills . I am leaving it with a jaded sense of guarded realism, believeing now that any client's credit rating and claim to honor and fair play is ultimately borne out by the attorney's fees he promised to pay.

I entered 2005 afraid of the future, of failure, of most of everything that does not go according to plan. I am leaving it with a sense of fatalism with the realization that ultimately, it is not really up to me but a higher agency who controls all of us.

I started 2005 with two airsoft guns, a Tokyo Marui SR 17 and a heavily modified G3 and I'm leaving it with only one. I decide to keep my G3.

I began 2005 away from my Fenris brethren and I am ending it with my return (at least in part) to the wolfpack.

I started 2005 expecting to deplete my bank account and I am leaving it with a pleasant realization that it wasn't depleted! In fact, we're not doing too bad.... (of course, I can always use more money.....)

I started 2005 with very little contact from my friends from the old Herd, and I am leaving it after having established contact with them. I see how much has changed and I'm gratified to see that they are moving on with their lives too.

All in all, on the balance sheet, the results look good.

1 Comments:

Blogger judgefob said...

Hey Jag. :-) May your dives in 2006 be safe and fun.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home