Tuesday, December 27, 2005

To absent friends

Last night was a welcome treat on the heels of the Christmas season. I had a chance to meet up with my high school friends and their spouses (at least those who brought them along). It was a very refreshing change of pace to be with people I grew up with and with whom I had shared a lot of triumphs and failures. Halfway through our dinner, it just occured to us that all present at the table were cadet officers from the same class back in high school. That and the fact that all of us at one time or another rolled dice on a table and spent time slaughtering hordes of imaginary orcs as well as each other in equally imaginary battles.

It was good to see that everyone was getting somewhere in life. I guess this is the entire purpose of life anyway eh?

I could not help but note the absence of some of our companions, particularly those who had set off for foreign shores to make their fortune. I am glad to note that these companions of ours are doing very well and prosepring. Somehow, something tells me that one day, not too far off in the future, I may be joining the ranks of our absent companions as well. Perhaps those left behind here will be drinking a toast to us absent friends when the time comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home