Friday, April 21, 2006

How do we say goodbye?

I remember a scene from an old movie I saw, the Last Emperor. Peter O'toole was the English mentor of the young Henry Pu Yi, the last Emperor of China. I can't remember the actor who played Henry Pu Yi, but that's not the point here.

In one part of the movie, Peter O'toole meets the Last Emperor for the first time. He is surprised as the Last Emperor steps up and shakes his hand vigorously while speaking in singsong English: "How do you do?" or something to that effect. The mentor goes through life for a long time with his charge as history's drama unfolds around them. One day, the time arrives when the mentor has to leave and return to England. Finally, at the docks, the mentor is with the Last Emperor and there is awkward silence as he waits to board his ship.

The Last Emperor says with much sadness: "How do we say goodbye?"

To which the mentor answers: "Why not like when we said hello, your majesty?"

And the two men exchange a vigorous handshake.

One of our associate attorneys, Jon, is leaving the firm. He's said his goodbyes and he's wrapping up matters before moving on to his new job.

We're all sorry to see him go, myself included. I remember when I left my first job in a lawfirm in Makati City. I wonder how my officemates felt at that time?

Jon is a darned great lawyer, a good friend and fraternity brother and an outstanding family man. Oh, and he gave a very well crafted speech during my wedding reception. I know his new employers are very fortunate to have a very committed and skilled legal professional joining them.

Whenever I used to run D&D with my old officemates, Jon would play the part of an intrepid and crafty warrior, with the shiny plate armor and the humungous magical sword - the kind of guy you want to have on your side when the chips are down and you are neck deep in orcs in a balls-to-the-wall fight. Somehow, in my minds eye, I see him walking off into the sunset to claim more victories, looking for more dragons to slay.

Wherever he ends up, I certainly wouldn't want to be a dragon living there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home