Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Moving on up to Holy Week

Things have moved on for me again...

The Real World

I finally got to go on leave last week, so I had a blast just doing a lot of Rest and Recreation. Its fascinating to note how much I got to recharge during the 7 days or so of doing something apart from work, work, work. Things are even better now since I got back to the office: not much in the way of deadlines so I'm still doing good....

Going on leave was a blast as this was the first real rest I got since Ana gave birth in November 2005. We actually had the time to go check out Fully Booked at the Powerplant last week. As usual, the place looked mighty changed and I had everything I could do to stop myself from blowing all my money on books and graphic novels. Fortunately, I made my Will roll (that's RPG talk meaning I made my self control check)and did not blow my cash away this time. As I write this, I've had a lot of expenses what with bills and payments to keep my insurance policies up to date. I guess getting the next round of graphic novels will have to wait first till I replenish my warchest.

Still, I've got my eye on the Captain America and Kamandi archives (both done by the great Jack Kirby!) and the remaining issue of Warren Ellis' Planetary which I recently ordered from Fully Booked. I've got my sights trained on them and they're toast....

Of course, when we got back to the house of Mylo (that's what my wife's family calls my mother-in-law) Ana was confronted by her nieces Tricia, Bea and Tricia's friend Dani, all whom demanded to know why we left them behind when we escaped to the Powerplant. It was at that point when I decided to beat a hasty retreat and leave the task of figuring out how to beat off our irate pre-teen trio in the capable hands of Ana....

Sickness in the Summertime

In the meantime, Joshua, who is 4 months and going on 5 months by April 15 got his first brush with the cold virus. It started out with a bout of headache and sniffles from his yaya last Monday, as we stayed at Mylo's. We should have quarrantined the yaya but we didn't. So Joshua and his parents got a dose of the virus. It was bad in the start with a fever raging (38.5 degrees) which brought me to buy a digital ear thermometer and more doses of tempra for Joshua.

The fever passed and along came the cough and cold. I'm just glad to see that through the worst, Joshua was still kicking and laughing. I guess his HT score is higher than that of his parents (that's RPG talk meaning that his Health attribute is better than that of mine or Ana's). Ana's been on antibiotics and is getting better. I felt really knackered Friday and Saturday but the worst had passed. I guess doing time in the gym last 2 months gave me the added oomph to boost my defenses.

It really helped too that Joshua's pedia, Tita Baby, made time to see him last Saturday, driving all the way from Malabon to Makati. So far she confirmed it was just a throat infection which hit Joshua and this should pass very soon.

Well, good riddance to the cold as he's due to take his next round of immunization shots.

The Make Believe World

We finally did it! My patient and intrepid players finally got together and we got our Gurps game off and running! We normally game every 3 weeks and it's hanging together pretty good! The fourth edition of the Gurps rules really rock! So far, I've been running a spin-off from the PC game Fallout Tactics, so I call it Gurps: Fallout. Last Sunday was our second installment and the characters have secured Vault 33 for themselves and their Brotherhood of Steel Allies. Of course, at a price as Nikos Ong's took a dive after getting shot in the torso. I guess Drake is going to be in the hospital for some time after this.

We're taking a break from Gurps: Fallout and giving Gurps: Fading Suns a spin. I'd been working on my conversions for the better part of a month and things are looking good. I can't wait to get on with the Drama in the Endtimes when the Suns Go Out....

The Fenris Front

During my leave, I also got a chance to see some of the Fenris guys at the birthday party of my friend Carlo. Glad to see they are also thriving. They're all gearing up for an airsoft competition called Operation Full Circle set at the end of the month. With typical monomaniacal focus and drive, they've been going through their moves and honing their skills. I'm sure they'll bag the 'coon skin and hang it up on the wall when the end of the month rolls by.

Speaking of Fenris, Dennis, who now leads the team is due to have a third child. His wife Lissa is pregnant with their third, after having two great sons Red and Cale. Maybe it'll be a girl this time? I'm sure she'll be the apple of her dad's eye if the child turns out to be a girl.

1 Comments:

Blogger judgefob said...

Yes, I know what you mean. i also had the household help xrayed, but I did not go on to get blood tests. They are giving out anti-flu shots at my mom-in-law's village so I'm thinking of getting the whole family and our household help to get those shots.

I don't think you are OC as regards the measures you take to protect Soleil. I think its admirable and I am sure those efforts will pay dividents in terms of health and security for Soleil and your family. Keep it up. Ana and I have been mulling an air purifier for the room too, what with the killer pollution in this city (plus Joshua's inherited a predisposition for allergies from his dad).

I'll extend your congratulations to Dennis and Lissa. I guess life is a bit exciting for them now with two kids. Being a parent is a full time job!

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home