Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Itenerant lifestyle and the paper chase

For almost a week now, we've been living at my mother in law's house in Makati. The water started leaking into the ceiling from bathroom in the flat right above ours causing our bathroom door to warp. That and brownish pools of water on our bathroom floor, the purity/cleanliness of which I refuse even to contemplate drove me to ask the unit owner above to take action. Luckily, they did and since the repairs are a bit long, we've been living in Makati. All that hammering and the smell of paint won't do good for the baby.

Strange but I feel like a pastoral nomad. Everyday, I get up, have breakfast in a different house and drive to our flat to check up on things. A day at the office or court or meeting with clients or all of the above follows and then another trip to the flat, again to see how things are going. Then, a trip back to Makati and at night, to bed in a strange room which does not feel too strange anymore.

Its been a vacation for Ana who does not have to worry about what food to prepare for the day. Joshua, on the other hand, is beginning to enjoy it as his grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins and others are there for a never ending round of chit-chat and play.

The repair guy tells me all will be finished by today so I guess we'll be moving back home tomorrow. Its been a nice change of scene but now, we find ourselves missing our flat.

Daytimes including the last weekend was spent here in the office frantically studying contracts, doing research, typing and re-typing draft contracts that simply refuse to conform to what the clients want. After all this, I sort of expected things to quiet down a bit. After about ten years or so of legal practice, I noticed that volume of work tends to follow a rhythm of its own... like a set pattern with its highs and lows.

But this week, it appears that the cosmic flow is being disrupted somewhere. If anything, the volume of work is not slowing down....it seems to be picking up. I have this nagging feeling that I'll be working through Sunday again this weekend.

I keep telling myself the rhythm of the paper chase will eventually stablize once more. So maybe I can finally get to run a game of Fading Suns for my players again.

3 Comments:

Blogger judgefob said...

So true! That is one of the biggest benefits staying with the parentals.... having more people who you can trust (and who tend to be just as competent if not more competent) in handling the baby.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Gino said...

Yayas! How long have I not heard that term used in the present tense! The concept of a full-time nanny taking care of a child seems so foriegn to me now, but thinking about it, it is now foriegn to me! (Geographical irony). But the pains of getting a flat fixed, the hustle and bustle and tos and fros and heres and theres, you'd wish you had a pair of glass slippers to click!

There's no place like home!

Glad to hear everything is progressing well!

9:56 AM  
Blogger judgefob said...

Roger that Gino-boy! I guess that's one small (but indispensible) mercy when living in the third world: yayas!

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home