Saturday, May 06, 2006

Nine year itch

I had a hard time sleeping last night. I had to play Diablo 2 of my PC for 2 hours before I got to sleep. Ana and Joshua were already snoring when I got to close my eyes. Maybe its the bout of mild food poisoning I suffered on Thursday and Friday. Remind me never to touch the mushrooms ala pobre at Salsa Rosa italian restaurant behind my office building. The food is pretty good but the mushrooms are suspect.

I guess it was providential because Ana noticed I seemed to be more and more discontented with work these days. It is very hard to maintain a standard of excellence and professional commitment when you work in an office where people don't seem to care about these matters.

Coming to work was quite an experience last week. The common room was filled with a roiling miasma of cigarette smoke as early at 10 am. And this is a non-smoking building. i was told to bring this to the attention of the partners. Right, like I haven't tried doing this a dozen times over before? I have an industrial size air filter in my office room. I keep the door shut. Notwithstanding all of this, I smell like smoke every time I get home. I hate to imagine the damage all the nicotene loaded shit I breath at work is doing to my lungs. And I had a grandpa who died of lung cancer.

They bought two air filters the other day and installed them in the common room. Personally I think this is hogwash. A waste of money. Why not let the smokers smoke along with the rest of the smokers in the building lobby and keep the office smoke free? The money wasted on filters could have been used for upgrading our PC software which desperately needs to be upgraded.

You'd think reasonable people in charge would have done something a long time back. Nooooo. I guess doing the right thing is just beyond them....

It does not end there: every day I see our messengers sitting in the common room with their feet up on the tables taking a smoke (when they are not gambling at cards). WTF? Is this a scraver speakeasy joint in Fading Suns or a law office? Things were different when my old mentor was still with us before he returned to Canada for good. In the old days, there was a semblance of discipline. There were just some things you did not do. I am a believer in the thought that when you stop acting the way you should be acting, you begin to forget who you are and why you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in the first place. People aren't acting like they work in a law office, hence we have lost all semblance of being in a law office.

I had clients come in and ask me why the office stank with rank smoke. What could I say?

Its hard to maintain one's sense of excellence and commitment to the craft when one is surrounded by others who don't or won't give a damn.

Its going to be nine years to the day on July 2006 since i first joined this firm. Much that I am trying my damnest best to fit in, heretical thoughts keep coming to me unbidden and unwanted. I have a nagging feeling i should be looking around for a more professional-driven work environment. I thought i'd just stay where i am now while we wait for our application to immigrate to Canada to be processed and approved. But the way things are turning out, I may have to make some tough decisions in the coming months.

4 Comments:

Blogger Technorati said...

Its hard to maintain one's sense of excellence and commitment to the craft when one is surrounded by others who don't or won't give a damn.

That's really demotivating, if not dpwnright appalling. I hope things take a turn for the better.

11:53 AM  
Blogger judgefob said...

Many thanks for the kind sentiment Technorati. I really pray that things turn out for the better. Life was much simpler when I was a bachelor: if I wanted to quit then and there, very little would stop me. But now, with the baby and the wife and many bills to pay, decisions tend to be a bit more difficult at times.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Technorati said...

But now, with the baby and the wife and many bills to pay, decisions tend to be a bit more difficult at times.

Yeah... First, you believe in Santa Claus. Then, you stop believing in Santa Claus. Now you are Santa Claus. Hehe.

It's always nice to see responsible fathers and husbands in action. It gives hope to single guys like me who have not yet shed their innate fear of responsibility. It's something that can too easily be shifted to the shoulders of God, fate, fortune, luck or one's neighbor. In the days of astrology it was customary to unload it upon a star. Men like you and Kuya Jon take responsibility head-on, and it's always a good thing to see.

2:46 PM  
Blogger judgefob said...

Thanks, that's very encouraging. I guess it all comes to us guys at the right time (to some of us, sooner than later).

Hehehe, never thought of myself as Santa Claus.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home